View Single Post
Old Sat Jul 05, 2008, 10:29am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
The guys that run Little League and the regions do so as a full time job. They are paid. According to LL, about 60 people are paid and, by the way, the top people earn six figure salaries.

I have a friend who worked the LLWS in Williamsport last year. They put him in a hotel room (alone, so he could bring his wife or anyone he chose), gave him a stipend for meals, and most of his expenses were covered.

I've worked a regional. I was provided a room and I paid a small supplement so it could be a solo room (I travel for business and sharing a hotel room with a stranger is not something I'd relish). We were given meal tickets for the field which, frankly, I never completely used.

Fair is decided by those who get to do the choosing. If you don't like their terms, no matter what region and what terms, don't work the games.
You are right that the any of us can decide whether to work the games, but when you expect things so drastically different from a segment of the operation that would get paid normally, without these stupid conditions, then you drastically limit the pool. In turn drastically limits the talent you have to make your organization look good. And maybe that is why regular umpires cringe when they watch LL games on TV.

It is not my organization and I personally do not care what they do. But I know I would want the best people at what they do available to work our most important games. And as you suggest if everyone else that is running the tournament getting paid, why not the umpires?

Peace