View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 03, 2008, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibear
Have an interesting question from another website: R2 with 2 outs. Grounder hit to F6 who throws to F3 for the apparent third out. R2 continue running through third and tags home without a throw (Why would F3 throw home once the third out is called??) Offensive manager comes out and talks with the BU about a pulled foot at first on the put out. After confering with PU, BU reverses his call and says that BR is safe on the pulled foot.

What do you do with R2?? Let the run score or put him back at third or even second??
Poor mechanics in this case. If BU on the play thought the foot was pulled he should ask the question and get an answer before making the call. If I don't ask the question in all liklihood (I'll never say never) I'm sticking with my call. Reason being my partner has all touches and tags at third. I can't even be certain he had a good look at first. Assuming I'm 100 percent certain I'm right or my partner is uncertain I'll go to my partner (no one is within earshot) I'll just tell my partner to nod his head yes. Offensive Coach is appeased I did check and we play on.

As an aside as base umpire I feel it's my responsibility to get pulled foot and swipe tags on my own. Assume a controversial play. I go to my partner based on his answer I make the call. If a s*** house breaks out who are they going after? My partner and not me. I don't think it's fair that my partner takes grief because I was a lazy a** on the play.