View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greymule
We just officiated a local GFP tourney of more than 90 teams, 10u through 18u. Unfortunately, this requires the scraping of the bottom of the barrel for umpires, at least until the number of teams gets winnowed down.

On the fields I saw, dress wasn't a particular problem, but mechanics and rule knowledge were another story.

One ump gave us plenty of (1) "Onna cornah for strike 2!" (2) "Ball 4, take ya base!" and (3) Strike 3, battah's out!"

Another, where number 1 batted instead of proper batter number 9 and doubled, enforced the BOO by warning the coach but leaving the runner on 2B. The ump informed the coach that a second infraction would mean ejection, though everything that happens on the field stands. This ump was about to send number 9 up to bat with number 1 on 2B, but I happened to witness this personally and butted in.

Yet another, with 2 out and a runner on 3B in the bottom of the 7th of a 0-0 game, called a "balk" when F1 stopped in her motion in reaction to the batter who had held up her hand to signal a request for time. Game over.

Another, in the plate conference, warned every team that if the runner used the white base and collided with F3, she would be out whether she beat the throw or not.

This spring, I umpired 1 inning of a college game in shorts, boat moccasins, a Phillies' t-shirt, and a visor. My usual partner had been assigned a game in north Jersey, and I traveled up with him to take some pictures of his plate mechanics. Just before game time, his assigned partner called in to say that his teachers' meeting had lasted longer than he expected, so he'd be late. So I acted as BU until he arrived. All I can say for my attire was that it was comfortable, but it's hard to run in those boat shoes. I was considering going barefoot, but the other guy showed up.
I guess I'll have to forgive or raise my opinion of some of the partners I worked with lately.