View Single Post
Old Sun Jun 29, 2008, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by briancurtin
Did anyone just see Drake toss Piniella? Can someone give me an example of a more horse**** ejection at the MLB level? I'm struggling to find one.

For those who didn't see it, Fairchild (at first) said the hitter didn't go on a half-swing, then Piniella comes out a little bit and Fairchild put his hand up and said not to come out. Lou has a few quick words from long distance, goes back towards the dugout, and Drake throws him out while Lou isn't even facing the field or either umpire.

Disclaimer: I'm a Cubs fan.
Yep, I saw it. Completely legit toss in my view. He came out of the dugout a little more than a little bit, and quickly, and stopped only when Fairchild put his hand up and said not to come out (he was already out).

What I don't understand is why Fairchild had to do anything. Drake should have tossed him as soon as he came out of the dugout to argue.

Also don't understand why Drake did not call a strike on the swing, and why Fairchild also thought he did not go. It wasn't close to a checked swing from my view, even before the replay.