View Single Post
Old Sat Jun 28, 2008, 07:33pm
Official Forum Member

A little off topic but it fits in the vain of changing the terms of the schedule...

A couple of weeks back I got a call from an umpire in my American Legion association asking me if I could cover a suspended JR Legion game for him. He informed me that the game was in the top of the 2nd when rain halted the game. A new crew was needed as the original crew had a regularly scheduled SR game at another site on the makeup date. When we got there, the teams informed us that "We decided we'll just start all over. Some of the kids here that night are gone and we have some that weren't here." My partner and I would not allow this since the game was being played under FED rules and we were mopping up for another crew. After a little back and forth, we started from the point of suspension.

The kicker was that original PU told me that he never wanted to start the game in the first place as it was obvious rain was moving in and could jeopardize the game. Both coaches urged him to start anyway. In the end, the home club wound up paying 4 full game fees. Oh well...

Lawrence