View Single Post
Old Sat Jun 28, 2008, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

You know that you screwed the pooch by not giving the proper mechanic at the time of the play. When you gave it afterwords, it looked like you were making sh!t up. As a result, you going to have to put up with a little crap. I agree that he shouldn't be poppin off from the dugout, but ignoring him and/or just telling him to go back to the dugout isn't going to solve anything either. I will offer this advice as to how to handle the coach when you are partly to blame for the situation ...

When he started popping off after he asked his F3, I would have said,

"Coach, I told you why he was safe now I'm not going to have you poppin off like that from the dugout"

Then when he came out on you looking for an answer, I would have said

"Look coach, I probably should have signaled that he bobbled it at the time of the play... my bad. However, there is no doubt in my mind that F3 did not have possession off ball. It didn't look pretty, but I got the call right."

By admitting a little fault on your part, you'd be surprised at how it can diffuse the situation. This can also save yourself an possible EJ and any paperwork that goes with it.

Inexperienced coaches like to argue long distance - you need to "educate" them that you're not going to have that and shut it down whenever possible. I'm not telling you to bait them into coming out, however, I'd much rather have a conversation face to face then useless shouting from across the field.

Maybe you just need to calmly explain to the coach after the inning and say something like... "Coach, if you want to further discuss a play, then let's get together and we can talk about it... but I can't have you screaming at me from across the field/in your dugout - that's just not productive"