View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 27, 2008, 07:49pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Backing Up to Absorb Contact ???

10.6.1 SITUATION C: B1 is standing behind the plane of the backboard before A1 jumps for a lay-up shot. The forward momentum causes airborne shooter A1 to charge into B1. RULING: B1 is entitled to the position obtained legally before A1 left the floor. If the ball goes through the basket before or after the contact occurs, the player control foul cancels the score. However, if B1 moves into the path of A1 after A1 has left the floor, the foul is on B1. B1's foul on the airborne shooter is a foul during the act of shooting. If the shot is successful, one free throw is awarded and if it is unsuccessful, two free throws result. (4-19-1, 6-6-7-4, 10 PENALTY2 5a)

10-6-3-Note: When a guard moves into the path of a dribbler and contact occurs, either player may be responsible for the contact, but the greater responsibility is that of the dribbler if the guard conforms to the following principles, which officials use in reaching a decision. The guard is assumed to have obtained a guarding position if he/she is in the dribbler's path facing him/her. If he/she jumps into position, both feet must return to the floor after the jump before he/she has obtained a guarding position. No specific stance or distance is required. It is assumed the guard may shift to maintain his/her position in the path of the dribbler, provided he/she does not charge into the dribbler nor otherwise cause contact, as outlined in 10-6-2. The responsibility of the dribbler for contact is not shifted merely because the guard turns or ducks to absorb shock when contact by the dribbler is imminent. The guard may not cause contact by moving under or in front of a passer or thrower after he or she is in the air with both feet off the floor.

Peter Webb: "I have received a couple of notes indicating that a defender can obtain a legal guarding position after an opponent has become airborne. Obviously the rule does not permit that."

From many of the posts in this thread, especially those from Jurassic Referee, and from the citations listed above, in my opinion, the defender cannot obtain a legal guarding position after the offensive player has become airborne, however, I would like the following clarified:

Let's say a defender obtains a legal guarding position before the offensive player has become airborne. Right before contact occurs, the defender not only turns, or ducks, as stated in 10-6-3-Note above, but actually backs up a step to absorb contact.

I'm still calling this a player control foul. Am I correct? Citations please.

Also, for new Forum members, Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. can usually be counted on for reliable information on this Forum. He is just having some type of mental block regarding this situation, so lets' give him a "mulligan" on this thread. I believe he has earned it based on 99% of his previous posts.