View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 26, 2008, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

I don't disagree with an Airborne shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjenning
Everything changes when a player goes airborne - it is horrible to think that B1 would be allowed to undercut an airborne player who would otherwise miss him/her and the foul would go against the airborne player? That is completely insane and twists the rules to an unfair advantage for the defender, placing the ball handler at a tremendously unfair and dangerous disadvantage... no way!
But what about a offensive player on the ground? You'll not find anywhere in the rule book (at least not to my memory) the phrase "re-establish" LGP. I agree that we have to call this a block for the same reasons you mentioned. We have to give the offensive player a place to land. Its a safety concern. We have other rules that protect an Air Borne shooter. We make it a shooting foul if he his fouled while still in the air but has released the ball. We don't give a player on the floor the same protection. This is just another one of those areas where we give protection to the offensive player.

We all agree that this is a block, except Mark and he is going to want to see this in black and white. He needs a rule reference. Which we haven't given him. We've given rule references regarding movement to obtain LGP. However, we've yet to give him a rule reference regarding maintaining LGP. Big difference!

Last edited by rwest; Thu Jun 26, 2008 at 01:55pm.