Thread: Safe or Out?
View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 30, 2002, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Del-Blue
Mike,

I kinda pictured this as the runner coasting into third, the 3rd baseman comming off the base to the left of the runner, the throw comming in,and the 3rd baseman catching the ball on the runners back. I know you have seen this play before. I really didn't picture obstruction. Like I said, runner out for being lazy going into third, and being tug before getting to the base. Not out for being stupid, but out for being tug before getting to the base because he was lazy.

Bob
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply:

First- we wish to thank all for the input. The scenario is much closer to the picture as Del-Blue described. 3rd Base did come off the base at the last second to field the ball. The play concluded with the runner was trotting in, and the ball arriving- the runner had not yet touched the base.

Again- Del Blue captures the picture- The 3rd Baseman did reach for the ball to make the play - and as the ball hit the glove, the runner comes into contact with the 3rd Baseman's arm, geting hung up in the hook of the arm.

Runner had the tag applied, never touched base until Blue came out to make call- runner actually stopped going in to bag, base coach protested what he thought was to be an out call- then Blue makes Safe call.

Also: enclosed is the excerpt of our League Rules +/- ASA rules...

C. Rules of the Game

18. Any runner interfering with a fielder directly involved in a play shall be declared out. If a fielder not involved in the play obstructs a runner, the runner shall be awarded two bases from the last base touched. It is incumbent upon both the runner and the fielder to avoid a collision. If there is a play on a runner at a base, that runner must either slide into the base or surrender the play and leave the base path-runners may not run into fielders in an attempt to dislodge the ball. Fielders may not block a base, even if they have the ball in their possession.

Again, thanks all-

Hawk and Dove (Wash, D.C.)