Thread: A Challenge!
View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 26, 2008, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

REPLY:JR...I realize that cmathews and ajmc both gave very good descriptions. And I absolutely love SC Ump's description. I might use that in training sessions. Thought I'd just try it a slightly different way to see if I could help.

Enforcement of live ball fouls hinges on something referred to as the “all-but-one” principle. It based upon the fundamental principles that (1) no team should benefit from committing a foul, and (2) a team that fouls during a down should be entitled to whatever benefit (yardage, for example) they might have achieved legally prior to committing their foul(s), but nothing more. The "all-but-one" principle provides the best (though not perfect) means for doing that.

“All-but-one” Principle
The “all-but-one” principle determines the actual spot of enforcement and is based upon knowing WHO committed the foul (offense or defense) and WHERE the foul was committed relative to the basic spot of enforcement. Here’s what it says:

If the foul was by….…and it occurred........................then enforce the penalty from…
the Defense...................Beyond the Basic Spot..............the Basic Spot
the Defense...................Behind the Basic Spot...............the Basic Spot
the Offense...................Beyond the Basic Spot...............the Basic Spot
the Offense...................Behind the Basic Spot................the Spot of the Foul

So, all situations except one are enforced from the basic spot, hence the name “all-but-one.” The lone exception is a foul by the offense that occurs behind the basic spot. Such a foul will be enforced from the spot of the foul. For that reason, such a foul is often referred to as a “spot foul.” That’s why it’s important that on player fouls, your flag is not just thrown into the air, but rather is thrown directly to the spot of the foul or at least dropped on the yard line where the foul occurs.