View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra06
Hey fellow zebras!

I realize that some of you may not want to explain anything on this. After all, this seems somewhat stupid of a coach to think this way. Anyhow, here goes...

Team A takes the ball out of bounds after a made basket by Team B. They inbound and begin working the ball towards their front court. As they are approaching a 10-second count, the coach for Team A calls for and is awarded a timeout. Team B's coach gets upset that the call is made. The official counting was only up to 7 seconds. What would you tell Team B's coach? What rules and/or case book citings would you want to refer to on this?

And here's something I thought of... what if the coach for B is asked in return if he thinks officials should award a team a timeout when they're 3.5 seconds into the count for a 5-count to get the ball in bounds?

I look forward to responses and your thoughts.
My response would be something along the lines of "Coach, his timeout request is within the rules, so I'm granting it. Now please go to your huddle."

However, I don't have to deal with live ball timeout requests anymore because under the FIBA rules timeouts can only be granted during a dead ball.