View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 24, 2008, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

Stick around

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckfan1
Yeeeshhh....This has taken up multiple pages? There might be a recommended method, but like many issues in officiating, whatever works for you. If one prefers to take a quick glance at R2, so? Hopefully theyve arrived at that choice through trial and error, and find that works best for them. Or not. Doesnt make someone better than someone else, just as the ridiculous argument of using an indicator or not, makes someone better.

Just my observation..works for me....your mileage may vary.
Discussion will change to check swing appeals while in B or C. You'll need a sundial to track opinions.

I face F1 standing heel to toe. I'm too fat, too old and too slow to stand around w/my hands on my knees. I stand tall and set like a R or F3 w/my lower arms angled downward.

Two-steps on a pickoff, short left first and then large right/turn into 1B. I'm calling safe unless I was sure of an out at 1B. I bite my lip at the acting job by F1/F3 and their teammates.

Short rocker left-step on a pitch home, ready to move into the working area if the ball is put in play. I either reset if its not in play or move toward 1B for the throw across the IF; stopping as soon as F raises his glove to squeeze the catch. I should be still by the time I hear the mitt pop while trying to focus on the BR's front foot.

Young PU has the 2nd call at 3B or 2nd call at 1B across IF cause I don't like them sittin' back there watching the game. I want them anticipating situations or reading players. Older gentlemen get more latitude.

Last edited by SAump; Wed Jun 25, 2008 at 11:32am.