View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 23, 2008, 03:54pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
1) Are you saying you would call a game exactly the same if you were working with Jim Burr and Ted Valentine as you would you would if you were working a game with a U2 experiencing his 1st big HS rivalry? I think my field of vision and coverage expand a little bit in the 2nd situation.

2) I'm talking about a 1-on-0 break-away like in the situation I posed earlier in which I did call a travel as the Lead. I'm not coming across half-court unless a pack of players make their way there or until team B inbounds the subsequent made basket and there is pressure.
1) I think that the situation should dictate whether you should help out more than who your partner(s) are. If you're the C, what do you really have to watch? The trail should be able to pick up anything equally blatant behind the play....and if it ain't blatant and doesn't affect the play, it shouldn't be called anyway. If it's out-and-out blatant, forget about partners, areas, etc. Just go get it. If it isn't blatant, let the official whose primary it's in take care of it. Jmo, but you can't slavishly follow coverage mechanics under all circumstances.

2) I personally like to see the C get further up the court than center and be a little more active. Just react to the ball while being half-azzed aware of what's happening in your primary. Again, just a personal preference, but I think the C should get over center, get ready for a possible missed shot and then stay there if the play remains there, or if it's made come back at the same pace as the ball is moving back up the court..... rather than hanging back and letting the play come to you.

Just my own peanut gallery opinion.....