View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 23, 2008, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
Dan, so that we can stay on topic and not annoy anyone (nor be called members of a peanut gallery) I'm starting a new thread, but with 2 topics.

Warning! Warning! Exaggerated example to follow--
Are you saying you would call a game exactly the same if you were working with Jim Burr and Ted Valentine as you would you would if you were working a game with a U2 experiencing his 1st big HS rivalry? I think my field of vision and coverage expand a little bit in the 2nd situation.
Are you kidding? If I'm working with Burr & TV why would I change the game I call that got me there? If I see something that needs to be called I'll call it. Which btw is NOT the same as saying I'll call everything I see. On your second situation, all I can say is I'll trust that green U2 until he gave me a damn good reason to not trust him (just like Burr & TV would trust me in my big game with them). Would I grab a travel standing at midcourt from the green U2 in this case? No way, no how.

Quote:

Yeah, but we're not discussing following a play (offense v. defense) to the basket, at least I'm not. I'm talking about a 1-on-0 break-away like in the situation I posed earlier in which I did call a travel as the Lead.

I'm not coming across half-court unless a pack of players make their way there or until team B inbounds the subsequent made basket and there is pressure.
And in that case you are way out of position to make any good call. OTOH I'll be at the FT line just in case, where I can monitor both the play & the stragglers.