View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 19, 2008, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strike4
Rules for Rendering Hand Salute of U.S. Flag
New Law Allows Retirees and Vets to Salute Flag
The National Defense Authorization Act of 2008 contained an amendment to allow un-uniformed servicemembers, military retirees, and veterans to render a hand salute during the hoisting, lowering, or passing of the U.S. flag. The amendment does not address saluting the flag during the playing of the national anthem, pledge of allegiance, honors (i.e. Taps), or any other saluting situations.

Excerpt from H.R. 4986:

SEC. 594. CONDUCT BY MEMBERS OF THE ARMED FORCES AND VETERANS OUT OF UNIFORM DURING HOISTING, LOWERING, OR PASSING OF UNITED STATES FLAG.

Section 9 of title 4, United States Code, is amended by striking “all persons present” and all that follows through the end of the section and inserting the following: “all persons present in uniform should render the military salute. Members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute. All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart. Citizens of other countries present should stand at attention. All such conduct toward the flag in a moving column should be rendered at the moment the flag passes.”

Argodad,

You are correct about saluting during the National Anthem. What changed was saluting while HOISTING, LOWERING, OR PASSING OF UNITED STATES FLAG.

Thanks for keeping me on my toes.

Strike4
Just because a bill passes the Senate does not mean it is a law. It must also be passed in the House and then signed by the president. (Or not signed by the president, which according to rules may either become law without signature or be a "pocket veto." Look it up yourself if you're that interested.)

I know MANY vets who don't like it -- hence its lack of passage from the house. MANY vets believe one should be in uniform for saluting. This is according to the top aide for a Member of Congress from CA.