View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 19, 2008, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzkriegBob
No, I would award her 3B, but if she made it to 3B safely anyway, then decided to go for home and was put out there (after I had determined that I was protecting her to 3B), then I would let the PU call her out. I'm not going to the PU and telling him that I'm putting her back on 3B. Am I mistaken for thinking this way? I don't think so, but feel free to correct me if I am.
Nope, that's the heart of the rule. They are out if they attempt to advance beyond their awarded base and are put out.

Quote:
So once again, in my original scenario, if I feel the BR would only have made it to 1B, and was thrown out by 20 feet at 2B, are you telling me you would put her back on 1B? I'm not saying I wouldn't, because if I determined that the OBS occurred between 1B and 2B, then placing her back on 1B is correct, but if I determine that the OBS occurred between HP and 1B, then I am calling her out. That is the entire point of this topic. Once again, feel free to correct me.
We've actually debated this kind of a situation before on this forum. It's hard to be "between bases" if you're ON a base. I don't think you should split that hair any further than it's already been split. If I have someone rounding 1B, and they are obstructed while doing so, then they're going to get awarded at least 1B. If they would have made 2B, give them 2B. If they're tagged out at 2B by 20 feet as you mentioned, I'd return them to 1B. If a defensive coach wants to know why, my explanation is simple: she was obstructed while rounding 1B.

Quote:
By the way, I would agree that the garden variety OBS is in the majority during SP games, but in FP, more than half of the OBS calls that I made were similar to my situation. For whatever reason, high school players in this area seem unable to understand the concept that they are not supposed to be standing on the base while outfielders are still chasing down balls. High school coaches don't seem to have the knowledge or time to explain to their teams how they should be positioning themselves. After one game this year, I had one team's coach ask me, completely seriously, "The girls want to know why you keep saying construction?"

If I am making too much out of this, please pardon me. I just want to be confident that I am making the correct call at the moment that I need to make it.
It sounds like you're making the right call, but it also sounds like you're looking for something that isn't there. I think the lightbulb has already gone "ding!" in your head, because you've already gotten the meaning of the rule. At the same time, you're just looking for another bulb.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.