View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 19, 2008, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
Talking with my partner in between games last night, this situation came up...

ASA rules. Team A playing shorthanded due to injury. R1 on third, 1 out, x-2 count, missing spot in batting order due up next.

B2 swings and misses for strike three and out #2, R1 sucessfully steals home on the pitch. Does the run count?

The question becomes: When is the out for the missing spot in the batting order considered to take place? Does it happen immediately at the time of the second out? Or does it happen after all play is complete and the missing batter should enter the box?

Personally - I count the run, then declare the missing spot in the order out for out #3. However, I can't find any clear definition in the rulebook
I agree. As long as it was on the pitch, it was part of the "play" which included out #2. Once the ball is returned to the pitcher (FP-in circle), now we are ready for the next batter and out declared.

When playing shorthanded, some not-too-smart coaches think that since the inning is going to end, they should just keep the runners moving until they are put out. The "not-too-smart" part comes into the fact that when one of the runners is retired, their team just committed to a two-out inning for their next at bat.

JMHO