View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 18, 2008, 04:45pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Jeff, you're only showing what you don't know about IP. Whether or not there's a sale involved is irrelevant. Just because something is 'public' does not mean it is in the public domain. And there are - believe it or not - a lot of lawsuits and a lot of money that changes hands at the mere threat of a lawsuit. More than you can imagine.
I am not trying to get into a big debate over copyright law. You or I are not lawyers and there are always other issues to copyright lawsuits than simply posting information. Public information is listed all the time and you do not see copyright lawsuits to correct the mistake. And I have been consulted legally on copyright laws as it relates to video of games (used for officiating training purposes) and it would be very difficult for even a company to go after someone if you are not selling the information that is very public and listed in public ways. I would agree that if someone completely ripped off a link and did not change the way the information is listed that would be a problem. But to know someone attended Villanova University in 1986 and they were born on September 5, 1968 in Wichita, Kansas is not copyright material. You can find information on Dick Bevetta right now on other sites and much more than the NBRA has listed. And if copyright laws were also a problem, then every time I see an officiating video on a website, I am sure the source of that information is going after that website for clips. I am sure YouTube would not be in business if copyrighted material was a concern. I am sure most of the information posted does not come with permission from the NBA, NFL, and MLB, NCAA or any major conference along with ESPN, Fox, NBC, ABC and CBS.

Peace