View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 02, 2000, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

quote:
Originally posted by Buck Wu:
I cannot wait for the answer that the evaluator gave for this situation. I do not think anyone disagrees that you should have made eye contact and you should pay more attention to listening for your partner's whistles. All that is mute right now. What do you do when you there?

This is a good case study!!!

I thought, in hind-sight, it was an interesting case study -- that's why I posted it. Now for the "answer".... Remember that this comes from a D2 referee working as an evaluator for our high-school level camp. This does not make whatever he says correct, but at my level it is worth listening to!

[*]The precedent is that with a simultaneous violation and timeout, the violation takes priority. So, if you get yourself into such an awkward situation, the violation will determine what happens next. (He didn't say where this precedent was established or documented, and given the circumstances at the time, I didn't ask.)[*]Once you've made your determination, hit the whistle several times (unusual sound) to get everyone's attention. Call the coaches out of their huddles, and announce the resolution. (This action was correctly identified above -- good job.)[*]Because you have made a ruling that could affect the coaches' actions, ask the coach who had requested the timout if he still wants the timeout. Never mind that they have already had some time -- your mistake has caused a disturbance in the flow, and this courtesy should be offered.[*]Assuming the coach still wants the timeout, restart the timing of it. You have potentially changed the scenario for which they must plan, so give them the full time now.[/list=a]
    I enjoyed everyone's comments, and appreciated the vote of confidence from some.