Thread: 2-man mechanics
View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 17, 2008, 10:07am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Ump
From the PU stand point that high fly ball in the V can put your partner in a situation where he doesn't have optimum coverage for a play at third. Read the play if you can be at third, then get there. You have no other responsibilities. Then communicate with your partner that you've got third and get an acknowledgement. The last thing you want and need is 2 people on one play.

While this is not an in the book rotation situation it is being a good partner. The key here is communication.
I'll second this.

I'll give another play:

R2. Less than 2 outs. Sinking line drive bringing F9 to his right and forward. Diving catch.

As the BU, I have to make the catch/no catch my primary responsibility. While the nature of the catch may make a subsequent play at third difficult, if I'm the plate umpire, I'm reading that my partner is likely out of position now (at the edge of the infield grass between first and second) to get a good angle and distance for the play at third. I'm coming up. I'm also going to be lining up the tag at second since I know that the BU will need to stay with the play to make sure there's a legal catch. Now, I won't poach an appeal, but I will be prepared if I'm asked by my partner to get involved.

Game and situation sense is pretty darned important and mechanics are designed to cover a majority of situations, but I think it's important to be flexible in situations and to be a good partner.