Thread: 2-man mechanics
View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 17, 2008, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara
I say I got burned because I was still by second both times I made the call. After seeing my partner at home, I knew I had to make the call. I should say I was out of position. I know both times I made the correct call because the tag was missed *shew*

I am learning a lot this year since I'm not working with a regular partner. Before, I knew exactly where my partner was going to be.

-Josh
Josh,
This is actually a very good question as bob jenkins said it can vary depending on where you are and the level of partner you have.

BU the book this is not a rotation play and the BU should have both plays. That being said I don't know how many times where I've been in this situation either as BU or PU and the PU take the play at third. The key is communication. As BU you should believe that both plays are yours until you hear from your partner he's got third. Once you hear he's taking third give him a quick glance and make sure he really is there then you can give up your responsibilities at third.

From the PU stand point that high fly ball in the V can put your partner in a situation where he doesn't have optimum coverage for a play at third. Read the play if you can be at third, then get there. You have no other responsibilities. Then communicate with your partner that you've got third and get an acknowledgement. The last thing you want and need is 2 people on one play.

While this is not an in the book rotation situation it is being a good partner. The key here is communication.