Thread: What iffy play
View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 13, 2008, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel
...Another way to look at this would be that the runner from 2nd is not legally entitled to 3rd as it is occupied. She is stopped so LBR could be called.
I've heard that argument made before, but I think it is questionable at best (actually, I think it is incorrect, speaking ASA).

First, 8-3-E says the second runner (the one not entitled to the base) "may be put out by being tagged..." It says nothing about any other way of being put out.

Second, the LBR speaks of the runner being "off a base", or of advancing to the next base or retreating to the previous base. I maintain that if the runner is in contact with a base (any base), the runner cannot be ruled out for a LBR violation. She may be in jeopardy of being put out for other things (occupying a base to which she is not entitled, force out, etc.), but not LBR.

Strangely, in NFHS, after a period of inactivity with no attempt to retire the runner, the umpire is to declare the ball dead and rule the runner out. See case play 8.3.3 SITUATION B.