View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 12, 2008, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Ok Guys I'm going to resolve this once and for all. I officiated FIBA basketball since 1972 and for 10 years before that NCAA rules.
The following is taken from the 1986 OfficialFIBA Rule book describing progressing with the ball as FIBA called it. I retired from officiating after 43 years following the 2005 season so I can't really recall when FIBA actually went to NCAA travelling rules.If someone wants I can go through all the rules changes and tell you but who really cares???
Anyway here is the way it was until they changed:

Article 54 Progressing with the ball: A player may progress with the ball in any direction within the following limits:

Item1-A player who receives the ball while standing still may pivot , using either foot as the pivot foot.

Item2 - A player who receives the ball while he is progressing or upon completion of a dribble may use a two-count rhythm in coming to a stop or in getting rid of the ball.

The first count occurs:

(a) as he receives the ball if either foot is touching the floor at the time he receives it,or
(b) as either foot touches the floor or as both feet touch the floor simultaneously after he receives the ball if both feet are off the floor when he receives it.

The second count occurs when, after the count of one, either foot touches the floor or both feet touch the floor simultaneously.

A player has come to a STOP at the first count of the two count rhythm, is not entitled to a new movement within the second count.

When a player comes to a legal stop, if one foot is in advance of the other he may pivot but the rear foot only may be used as the pivot foot. However, if neither foot is in advance of the other, he may use either foot as the pivot foot.

ITEM3 - A player who receives the ball while standing still or who comes to a legal stop while holding the ball,

(a) may lift the pivot foot or jump when he shoots for goal or passes, but the ball must leave his hands before one or both feet again touch the floor.

(b) may not lift the pivot foot, in starting a dribble, before the ball leaves his hands.
To progress with the ball in excess of these limits is a violation.

Since my scanner is broken I typed this verbatim from the 1986 FIBA rulebook Sanctioned by the president , Central Board , FIBA Mr Robert Busnel France

The following case situations were taken from the 1986-1990 official case book:
(Note the rules changed every 4 years with the Olympics)
-
Case 299 P39 PLAY- A1 receives the ball in the air, lands with both feet touching the floor simultaneously, jumps into the air and again lands with both feet touching the floor simultaneously. A-1 then pivots.
RULING - Legal movement, provided A-1 does not come to a stop and the end of the first count of the two count rhythm ( ART 54)

Note : That covers the catching with 2 feet jumping to 2 feet then pivoting argument. Every FIBA trained player in Low post did this on offensive rebounding situations. Did this ever piss off the Americans when it was allowed! And it was allowed because it was legal!!!Here is another version:

Case 300 P40 Play- After A-1 Has received the ball while in the air, both feet touch the floor simultaneously. He then springs into the air, landing (a) with neither foot in advance of the other: or (b) with one foot in advance of the other. A-1 then pivots, takes a step toward the basket with his non pivot foot, lifts his pivot foot and shoots for goal before the pivot foot returns to the floor.
RULING - Legal. A-1 has used a two -count rhythm in coming to a legal stop in both (a) and(b). In (a) either foot may be the pivot foot; in (b) only the rear foot may be used as the pivot foot.
(Art 54)

Nice move eh!! ( That's Canadian eh!!)

Case 301 PLAY - A-1 receives the ball while his left foot is touching the floor. He stops then springs into the air and lands with both feet touching the floor simultaneously.
RULING - Violation. A player who has come to a stop at the first count of the two count rhythm is not entitled to a new movement within the second count (Art54)

Beginning to understand ???

Case 302. Play - A-1, while in the air, gains possession of the ball on a rebound and lands on(a) one foot or (b) on two feet simultaneously, leaps backward and lands either on two feet simultaneously or on one foot. A-1 then pivots.

RULING - Legal movement in (a) and (b) provided A-1 did not come to a stop at the end of the first count of the two-count rhythm (Art 54)

There are more cases but I think you all must get the idea.

This version of the traveling rule resulted in really spectacular moves by mostly European players. Had the likes of MJ or Kobe used them it would have been fun to watch.

I hope this resolves this question once and for all!