View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 12:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
I have to disagree that the FPSR has totally negated the need for allowing the neighborhood play, CO. Forcing a runner to slide in a direct line into the bag may have diminished the frequency of injuries incurred on the turn, but it certainly didn't eliminate them. Similar to a phantom tag when a runner slides feet first directly into a base, I allow the fielder to clear his glove hand from possibly being spiked without actually looking for contact. So, on a double play ball I'm not looking to see perfect contact with the bag before the turn, provided the fielder doesn't do something unusual on the play.

Tim.
If FPSR had been a part of the rules on day 1 do you think the neighborhood out would have evolved?
If steel spikes had never been allowed do you think the phantom tag would ever have been accepted?
If OBR outlawed steel spikes tomorrow I'd have a real hard time justifying a phantom tag. Doesn't mean a fielder couldn't get hurt by plastic cleats, but the liklihood would be so diminished that a strict observation of the tag rule would be in order. IMO

The FPSR took away the offenses ability to "break up" the double play so in order to keep the playing field even the defense should now be expected to actually make the out. IMHO