View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 06, 2008, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
We need to stop focusing on level. Traveling is the most inconsistent call at all levels. I think the difference between HS calls and college and pro calls is the fact HS officials call travels that often are not there. But to say it is not being called at the college level (and even the pro level) is a little bit of an exaggeration. Maybe it is not called as much as you like. But it is very easy to call things sitting on our couch, and then it is when you are out there on the floor.

Peace
IMO, I think there is some validity to how traveling is called by level. I think it has a lot to do with how most college assignors view a traveling call vs. a traveling non-call. If a college official misses a travel, not that big of a deal. Several get missed per game and they get very little attention unless they come near the end of the game and the media decides that it was a "game decider."

If a college official calls a travel that doesn't exist, that will definitely get the attention of their assignor. I have a D-1 buddy who just comes out and says that he is not a very good official when it comes to traveling and it has never hurt him one bit. It's like any point of emphasis... if it isn't supported by the assignors then it really has little effect.

I have seen HS officials call traveling when it doesn't exist on occasion too. However, I do think that the additional traveling calls in HS (even the occasional one that isn't there) results in more legal footwork at that level.