View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 05, 2008, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW
We penalize the casual profanity with a local rule that basically says the following:

If it's loud enough for more than the player and the umpire to hear, that batter is out. If it's not the batter who said it, the next batter is out. Even on defense - if the defender utters the F-Bomb, then their first batter the next half-inning is an out.

It's self policing. And it works pretty well. I started one inning with two outs - the first two batters scheduled to bat were pis$ed off at the idiot on their team who kept swearing because he caused them to miss their at-bat.
I don't know if we should institute that policy in Modified here. We just had a fight break out in the dugout last night because someone kept dropping the F-bomb, and some players had kids in the stands next to the dugout. One player even allegedly hit another player with a bat. Wasn't hard enough to do any damage, but the umpire, seeing almost the entire team coming to blows, ejected enough troublemakers to end the game in a forfeit.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.