View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 02, 2008, 11:53am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hickland
Know we went through this sometime in the past and I seem to remember one association or state (commonwealth as in Kentucky, Mass. uses NCAA) that had a good solution.

A player running for a touchdown when A78 decides this is a good time to give opponent B78 a nice unsuspected de-cleater fifty yards away from the ball while it is still alive. Personal foul. How do you penalize if the result of the play is a touchdown? What if it results in a tackle at the one yard line still in A's possession?

Could someone refresh my memory? Thanks.
CANADIAN RULING:

A hit like this 50 yards away is definitely Unnecessary Roughness: 15 yards.

If A78 has already scored the touchdown, B can apply the 15 yards:
  • on the convert
  • on the ensuing kick-off
    • + if the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd quarter ended with the TD, B can choose to apply the 15 yards on the KO to begin the next quarter (including the bridge from 2nd to 3rd)
    • + if the 4th quarter ended with the TD, B can choose to apply the 15 yards on the induced KO, or in OT, if the TD results in a tie game. If the convert breaks the tie, I will let B re-submit their answer to revert to the induced kick-off
If A78 is still in the field of play (no TD yet), but HAD reached the line to gain:
  • 15 yards from where the ball was when the hit happened (called Point Ball Held), no TD, and 1D/10 after the 15 is applied
If A78 is still in the field of play (no TD yet), and HADN'T yet reached the line to gain:
  • 15 yards from PLS, down repeated, or
  • 15 yards from Point Ball Dead, AND roll the down