View Single Post
Old Wed May 28, 2008, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
What the hell does that have to do with my point? Obviously I included a range of baseball umpires from HS to MLB .. so there is nothing in that range of umpires that would indicate that I was only talking about the best. I was talking about any competent baseball umpire.
I know, but I had that thought bouncing around and just needed to get it out. You just left the door a little ajar and I pushed.

Quote:
My point was if you are sitting there drooling into your potato chips because you just cant figure out if a baseball umpire is calling strikes or balls, you should not be anywhere near any diamond. Their signals are not confusing. No umpire should have any trouble working with an umpire using various calls as part of their plate work.

Likewise, softball signals are not confusing. Some are robotic.. but when they eventually make them, you understand it just fine.
Well, I would agree in most part, but not always. There have been times when I could not see an umpire's completely-clad dark blue arm low and in front of his dark blue shirt/jacket.

One in particular would use a scissor stand with right hand on his knee. A strike call was simply raise the right hand in front of his chest. From behind the plate, the movement was not noticeable. From the outfield, it was not noticeable.

This is my only complaint about "private" mechanics. To me, this is an umpire who has placed style before communications. You are right, you don't see it often, and for some, possibly never. It's just that I have.