View Single Post
Old Sat May 17, 2008, 12:56am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
BV game tonight. Kind of a small gym, so at times I'm closer to the play than I would be otherwise. And that is part of the problem.

Offense is swinging the ball around the perimeter. At this moment it's at about the 28' mark and about 5 feet from the sideline. I'm trying to watch ahead of the play, see the screens to free the next player to receive the pass, etc. So I'm not entirely focusing on the guy with the ball as he's not closely guarded. Also, I'm about 5 feet behind him and a step to the inside of the court. From here I've got a good look through this matchup, and I'm a step toward where the play is going.

When he passes it to the top of the key, my focus goes with the pass. Which turns me away from the passer. Then out of the corner of my eye, I see something. I turn back and it appears that the defender came up to try and deflect the pass, got there late, and probably fouled the kid pretty good. But I didn't see what happened, and I'm not going to guess at it, even though I'm pretty sure I'd have guessed right.

Dang!

My question really is this: What could I have done differently that would have allowed me to see this play?

The only things that come to mind are to work outside of the passer so I can watch the passer and the pass and the receiver. But honestly I don't think I'm going to like the look I get at my new primary matchup, while looking through what is now not even my secondary (as the ball is not likely to swing back to him next).

Perhaps backing out to get a wider view. But turning with the pass is still an issue. So even with a wider view, I'd still have to be outside the passer and looking through.

It's not like this happens all the time. So maybe the best answer is to just accept that this can happen occassionally and we'll never be able to see everything, especially in a 2 man game.

Thoughts?

BITS:

Just because A1 has released the ball for a pass does not mean that you should immediately follow the ball. Stay with A1 just long enough to make sure he is not the victim of a late foul by B1 and then turn to pick up the ball.

MTD, Sr.

P.S. Good night all. 01:56amEDT here.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio