Thread: Eager Partner?
View Single Post
Old Fri May 16, 2008, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by celebur
How did you leap from "Thats terrible. You dont need a secret signal" to "you don't believe in umpire to umpire signals for communication"?

When I read that, I understood him to mean that a secret signal is not required for a rundown. And I have to agree; in the middle of the action, a signal like touching your ear seems far too easy to miss. A simple verbal response would work better, imo.

But when there is no action, the standard umpire-to-umpire signals are certainly appropriate. That's completely different from what was being discussed.
You should read my post, and quote the entire thing, instead of just the part that you deem necessary. If you had, you would notice I was asking a question, to make a point. Yes. As I have stated, many of these signals go unnoticed. However, we still continue to use them. I don't believe I have ever stated whether or not I agree with this particular signal at all. What I did state is, it is the recommended signal for NCAA, and being such, I will use it when I call their games.

In the NCAA they advise using this signal. Absolutely nothing secret about it. It is in print in the CCA Umpire's Manual. Same as the other umpire to umpire communication signals. So, this is exactly what is being discussed. Not, as you stated (and that can be seen by the fact that I quoted you completely above) something "completely different."

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.

Last edited by Skahtboi; Fri May 16, 2008 at 06:38pm.