View Single Post
Old Sat May 10, 2008, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
I have been following this thread since last night. AND the bottom line is that if the PU is going to turn his back to the field to clean the plate he had better call timeout and if he does not call timeout, timeout is implied. While the offense made a good effort to gain a base, BUT the PU had stopped the game to clean home plate and that means the ball is dead.

With all due respect to the people that have taken the postion that the PU should not make the ball dead when turning his back to the playing field to clean home plate: I cannot understand how any umpire would allow the ball to remain live in this situation. To do so is utter nonsense.

MTD, Sr.
Mark, I would respectfully disagree. On what basis do you say that " if he does not call timeout, timeout is implied" ? I have never seen this in any manual. I do not understand why you think to leave the ball live in this instance is nonsense. As long as I am working with a partner, and I do not work solo, I see no reason to kill the ball for a few seconds of dusting the plate. The base umpire can easily watch the ball, and make a call if a play is made. Besides, why deny the defense any opportunity to make an out ?
If the plate is heavily covered, or at times with a runner at third, I will call time, while making eye contact with my partner. If I'm not calling time, I will still make eye contact, while removing my brush, so that he knows where I'm headed. It's over quickly, and we move on.
I'm not trying to be combative, just trying to understand where you are coming from on this issue.