View Single Post
Old Wed May 07, 2008, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
Any umpires who cares how a coach will rate them while working a game should pack it in, now.

I had 2.5 visits from a coach yesterday. One on a balk he didn't see, one between innings on a good pickoff move from the other pitcher that he claimed was a "double move" and a balk (it wasn't) and the third on a play at second where the ball hit the heel of F4's glove and fell out and they wanted the out "on the transfer" even though F4's other hand was 2 feet from the glove and the ball never even got in F4's glove. That was a half-visit, cause my partner stopped him before he even came out and told him to get back in the dugout. Seriously, the ball hit the heel of the glove and fell to the ground and there was never a motion to try to get the ball out of the glove, mainly cause it was never in there.

I had a flawless game yesterday and the coach will rate me low. He should rate me highly because I didn't eject him on the second visit, and I could have, had I been so inclined, but instead used game management skills to get him the hell off the field.

If I let myself care about ratings, I'll lose my mind. I'm an above average umpire, according to the coaches ratings. Barely. If I was rated any higher, I'd be wondering what I'm doing wrong. I only care that my ratings are high enough to get me a sectional (level before state tournament) every season. It seems they are, for now.
I had a game this week that may rival your low rating.

Play one
Home team gets picked off at first. Rather routine but 1st base coach wanted to make an issue that just because the ball beats the runner doesn't mean he's out. No biggie.

Play two
Next inning home team on defense. Attempted pick off at first. Throw beats R1 but tag does not. "Safe". From the dugout I hear that I called them out on the same play etc etc

Play three

Home team on def. R1 stealing 2nd. throw beats runner but a bit high and F6 misses tag as he swipes. "Safe no tag" I'm sure from 120' it looked like a tag Home team not happy

Play 4

Home team on def.
Attempted pickoff at 2nd. F6 busting to the bag, throws a little behind him but clearly had R2 leaning the wrong way. F6 reaches back gets the ball swipes the tag and I clearly see daylight between glove and R2. "Safe No tag"
Home team clearly not happy.

Play 5

Bottom of 8th 1 out R1 down by one.

Attempted steal, throw to the 1st base side. F6 makes a great play gloving ball while jumping over runner. he gloves it right at the hip of R1 and while airborne applies tag on the backside of R1s hip while R1 is a good foot off base. I give it my best crow hop and bang him "OUT"

1st base coach crosses into fair territory coming towards me letting me know it was a bad call and I appropriately point to him and tell him to get back in his box. I love doing that, it's the same thing I tell my dog at home after he pees on the floor.
HC comes out to ask what I saw and then tells me how disappointed he is in me. "You're better than this, I'm really disappointed in you. There was no tag"

Play 6

Next batter doubles.
After play is relaxed 1st base coach yells at me "The game should be tied, that one's on you"

That's when I ejected him.

What do you think my rating will look like from that team?