View Single Post
Old Fri May 02, 2008, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

harmbu, let me tell you a story about a coach that happened when I was in my first year of FED umpiring and fairly green.

He had a runner on 3B and was up a lot late in the game. His batter fouled one deep down the RF line, and the opposing F9 made the catch and carried the ball into DBT. I was PU, and failed to make the "catch and carry" call and award.

He asked for time, walked down toward the plate a few steps, and asked me whether that shouldn't be a one base award. Then he said: "Never mind, I don't need that run. I shouldn't have bothered you. I'm sorry." And he returned to the coaching box without another word.

Now I think you can interpret this situation in several ways, but my preferred interpretation is that he wanted to point out my error without showing me up. Of course, he was winning, and the situation might have gone differently if he hadn't been.

I guess my point is that silence is sometimes a good strategy for a hot-headed coach, but I'm not sure this young umpire would have learned from the situation if the coach hadn't said something to alert me that I had blown a call. If you're sure that you know the rule, it might be worth it to ask calmly, bring in the partner, and see whether the umpiring team can't get it right.

Better be sure you know the rule, though.