View Single Post
Old Thu May 01, 2008, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

More info

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGKBLUE
Agreed HTBT.

However, I look at this situation as a three step approach and it all depends on the location of the ball.

1. The fielder is drawn into the path of the runner and when contact is made the fielder does not have possession of the ball. Obstruction. RS 13 F unlike 13 G does not indicate that obstruction should not be called, only do not call a crash and the runner out as a result.

2. When the ball, runner and the defensive player arrive at the same time and place, and contact is made, the umpire should not invoke the crash rule, interference, or obstruction. This is merely incidental contact, or
what some persons commonly call, “a wreck.”

3. The fielder has possession of the ball and is waiting to apply the tag when the runner crashes into the fielder. Interference and the runner is out.
In the case I submitted, the ball, defensive player and runner all arrived at the same time. Ball made it into F2's glove but was knocked loose in collision. Runner never made it to HP because she went downt injured. Run was awarded to offense.

I'm a newby, so I really want to get a good understanding of the right call here. Thanks.