View Single Post
Old Sat Apr 26, 2008, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member

Billy,
Two comments:
1. My personal preference is for the Lead to remain on the opposite side of the court from the throw-in in this particular situation because the play occurs out near midcourt and there aren't any players down in the FT lane.
I don't have a problem with the Lead coming strong side in 2-man and do it frequently myself, but I just wouldn't in this situation. However, if the throw-in were FT line extended in the frontcourt, then I believe that it would make more sense for the Lead to come strongside on the endline as it is much more likely that the throw-in could go directly to the elbow or the block.

2. Please remember the purpose of officiating mechanics--to put an official in the position from which he is most likely to have the best view of the play. There are very good reasons for why the mechanics are the way that they are and they have been studied and developed by some of the best in the business. However, they cannot cover all possible situations and when one finds oneself in an oddball situation, don't be afraid to adjust and do whatever is necessary to obtain the best look at the play even if that means temporarily deviating from the prescribed mechanics. The mechanics are just your guide to good officiating, but when you have a valid reason to break those guidelines you have a responsibility to the good of the game to do so. Don't be afraid that some evaluator is going to tell you that you weren't standing in the textbook spot. Seeing the play and getting the call correct is more important.