View Single Post
Old Sat Apr 26, 2008, 07:41pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Still Good Advice ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
The Lead official obviously does not belong on the endline in such a situation and should adjust his positioning based upon the location of the players. Probably coming up to the FT line extended or even the top of the key (and possibly a couple of steps out onto the court) would put this official in a decent position to observe the action and also project a greater officiating presence to the players. Having an official standing nearby usually cuts down on the nonsense as the players have a greater sense that they are being watched.
I agree, as long as you're talking about the lead being on the ball side. By endline, I meant start on the endline, before the ball is even in the hands of the administering official, and then as you realize that you're going to be all by yourself, and your partner is going to be within ten feet of all ten players, move up, as you said, to at least the foul line extended. In this setup, the lead should not be paying any attention to the thrower, or the thrower's defender, but should, as you stated, be focused on the other eight players. I like your statement, "Having an official standing nearby usually cuts down on the nonsense as the players have a greater sense that they are being watched". I have found this to be not only effective in inbounding situations, but in "rough" rebounding free throw situations, and in post player/defender situations.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Apr 26, 2008 at 08:01pm.