Thread: My First T!!!
View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 10, 2002, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Re: The rule changed.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
There was not a POE, there was a rule change last year with the coaching box. But of course that depended on your state. Illinois always (at least for as long as I can remember or have been officiating) had the 6 foot box until last year when they expanded it. And the big deal was to keep coaches in the box at all times no matter what when it was expanded last year. Well of course they threatened to take it away all together if officials did not enforce it strictly. And once the season started, all that went completely out the window. I did not see one T for a coach out of the box all year. And the State Interpreters basically told us to give Ts if the coach had a foot outside the box, no matter what. I guess that shows how much influence they had on that one.

Peace
Sounds to me like you and your cohorts didn't have the balls to inforce the rules. There is the problem in a nutshell. If you take a stand that is supported by your organization in writing, you are not wrong. If you cop out and give in to the coaches and let them do as THEY see fit, you might need to look in the mirror to see if you really have what it takes. You constantly remind us that you are a college official (at least a few games a year), and I guarantee you that supervisors want the rule inforced.

But what do I know, since I am not in Illinois and you are probably having to call games for people whose backgrounds allow for profanity as a way of life that should not be inforced and who do not need authority figures with the guts to do what is right instead of what is easy.