Thread: My First T!!!
View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 09, 2002, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
[QUOTEYou are right stripes, but the only problem with what you said is that we do not necessrily know the kind of official that was working this game. Many states also have made a bigger issue than needed over the "Coaching Box" rule and have basically threatened officials if they do not give Ts for this action. We must also note that this was an 8th Grade Travelling game too. That might have to do with the kind of official working the game. Might simply be inexperience.
Never seen a sign that the "box" has been a point of emphasis in Maryland - most officials a extremely liberal as long as you are off their backs. As for inexperience, I don't know how long some officials get to carry that tag. Some of the refs we get have been doing middle school travel ball as long as I have. I know I have learned a lot and changed a lot in how I prepare a team and manage games, while I watch them and they seem to have the same game they had five years ago.

It really seems a shame, because most of these guys genuinely seem to like doing the game and like working with the players, but they either haven't taken the right steps to improve or just don't have the knack for reffing. While many of you have done a lot of work to get where you are, as the posts on this board make clear, I think that there are those who are naturally suited to his work and those for whom it will always be a struggle, regardless of what they put into it or how long they ref.