View Single Post
Old Sun Apr 13, 2008, 09:53am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartee14
I agree with you that an Athletic Trainer is not an MD or DO. But, they do have to work under the direction of an MD or DO. So, trust me, they know what they are doing. Athletic Trainer's have to go through 4 years of college and then pass a National Board test. My point being, as an umpire, it is not my job to tell whether the player was unconscious, it is a medical professional. In this case, the medical professional is the Athletic Trainer. This is another case of an official thinking they are more important then they really are.
You fail to understand. It is a requirement that written authorization from a doctor (from what I've heard some states require this on letterhead) is required to allow a player to return when the player appeared to lose consciousness TO THE OFFICIAL. The medical trainer is irrelevant in this process and will continue to be until the NFHS recognizes that person in the rule, same as they recognize an MD or DO. They won't, because the standard of training is much higher for an MD and DO and there are more stringent licensing requirements.

Now, if the trainer is an MD or DO, then that person can write me up authorization taking responsibility and I'll allow the player to return.

This is another case of an official doing what is expected of him and, like it or not, I am the ultimate authority of whether someone returns to the game. The trainer can go pound sand if he doesn't like it.

Welcome to the board, BTW.