View Single Post
Old Sat Apr 12, 2008, 12:41am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Yup, interesting. Your state made a ruling that directly contradicts NFHS rules. Casebook play 3.5.6.SitB asks if it's legal for a player because of religious reasons to wear tights under the basketball uniform shorts . The RULING states "NFHS basketball rules do not require that the uniform pants be "shorts". However, undergarments or tights may NOT may not be worn which extend below the pants, therefore wearing tights "below the uniform shorts" would be illegal. The player could wear pants or a skirt as the uniform "bottom" and be in compliance."

It's kinda interesting that a state would issue a ruling that is completely contradictory to a very explicit and definitive FED ruling. My first thought is usually to wonder if whoever issued that state ruling was actually aware of the relevant NFHS ruling. Be that as it may, they still have the right to amend rules, even though they might face FED sanctions for doing so.
I will tell you why that ruling was given. Is it better to follow a rule from an organization or is it better to deal with a lawsuit that the NF will never have to defend? I think staying out of a legal battle over religion is much better.

Unless the NF is going to defend every legal challenge to defend this rule then and only then I become upset over this interpretation.

Peace