View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 11, 2008, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth
We have MLB to thank for partners over turning one another without being asked.

The call BELONGS to the BU.

The BU has 2 choices

1. Stick with his call or
2. Check with his partner

HOWEVER,

The PU should not chime in unless he asked by his partner NOT the coach.

To me this is no different then a check swing.

F1, F2 the coach the Pope the President of the US can point to me all they want. It's not unitl my Partner points to me that I will give a signal one way or the other.

Now as Bob said depedning upon your partner etc. You could over-ride your partners call in certain situations like the ball being on the ground but that should be discussed in Pre-game

IMO, Arbritraily over-ruling your partner without being asked is not a good thing. Also, whose to say you are right.

Pete Booth
"We have MLB to thank for partners over turning one another without being asked."

NO WAY. Where did you ever see this? It's not only against umpiring mechanics, it's against the rules. When questioned by a manager, the umps confer, and then render the final decision.

"IMO, Arbritraily over-ruling your partner without being asked is not a good thing."

It's also against the rules. And a very good way to find yourself working alone. I had a female umpire do this to me on a call at 1B in a HS Varsity softball game many years ago. She came out from behind the plate, hollering, "SAFE. Pulled foot". I called the assignor the next morning, and told him the situation, and that if he ever assigned the two of us together again, I would walk off the field.

When a coach/manager approched me about a call my partner made, it was , "That's his/her call". At the pregame at home plate, I would tell the coaches/managers to go to the umpire making the call and ask if they would check with his/her partner. Of course, 90% of the time, it went in one ear and out the other.

Bob

Last edited by bluezebra; Sat Apr 12, 2008 at 12:02am.