Thread: How to say no
View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 11, 2008, 01:51am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
No I do not. This is a business. If you do not like the things it takes to keep doing business, get out. It is that simple. If you do not want to go to camp, someone else will pay to go to camp.

Rut, with all do respect this is bullsh!t. The high school level is not design to give an assignor a comfortable lifestyle off his/her staff. Furthermore, I can understand if the pay was even close to what some may get paid at the collegiate level which it is not. I have to agree with you though on the business aspect. But, it should not be at the officials expense while the assignor take assignment fee + camp fee at the officials expense. The official IMO is getting F%%%ed in this scenario.
First of all you really need to go back and read what I said. I was not talking about HS, but the sentiment is really the same. If you do not like the circumstances of having to work games, then do not work them. Do what Rich did and not take the games. No one is holding a gun to your head.

Secondly, I would like to ask you where does it say someone cannot charge you money to attend their camp? Officiating is a business. If you run any other business there is some overhead to that business. And sometimes you have to pay for services in order to make money. I know with my business I have to pay for a lot of things before I make a cent. There are a lot of things I have to do to grow my business that require me to pay someone for something to make some money. You will find no such proclamation at the HS level has to be so different than any other level. And if you can find such literature then please show us a link or reference to it, because I would love to see where that is located. You have to pay dues to an association right? I know some who have to pay to use Assign By Web or the Arbiter software. The issue is how much and is it worth it to you.

There is a reality to officiating and there is fantasy. What you are telling me is fantasy because you do not like the system. Now I have never lived in an area that required such a big amount, but I have had to attend camps to work conferences. If I did not attend the camps I did not work. I make choices like that all the time either with pay the money or the time, or you do not work.

Peace