Thread: How to say no
View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 10, 2008, 09:31pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalreff
However, if you're already doing a good job for said assignor, there should at least be a discount for staff officials. And if he is just filling slots or wants to make sure you are keeping up with the game, he should offer the camp at no charge to his staff. The problem is that most of them are more interested in filling their pockets than filling slots.
I know that the responses to this are giving this poster a hard time, but I have the same questions.

Friend of mine goes to the same D3 women's camp every summer. Pays $300+ dollars to go, essentially just to stay on staff. Guy running the camp makes a fortune off of it and essentially expects the whole staff to come to fill the camp up.

Doesn't anyone see anything wrong with this ongoing pay to play mentality? It's starting to trickle down into the HS game here. I work a conference that many think is a top conference, but I refuse to clear my calendar to go to a camp the assignor runs that costs $300 with the not-so-veiled threat that "your schedule next season doesn't mean you have one the following season."