View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 10, 2008, 01:21pm
rei

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO ump
Many times partners will have some sign they give to their partner in certain situations to let them know they may have pertinent information that may be useful.
When given this sign the calling ump may or may not choose to get it or use it.
For a PU to force a conference on a judgement call made by U1 is uncalled for and absolutely inappropriate.

Another disturbing part of the OP is this:
It's one thing to be in B or C position, miss a pulled foot and feel a need to ask PU for help.
It's quite another to rule and signal pulled foot, make a safe call and then change the call.
You either saw the pulled foot or you didn't. If you indicate pulled foot then you darn well have better seen the pulled foot. If you saw the pulled foot there is no way PU should be able to change your mind nor should he even try.
I agree. But, sometimes, you just have to humor the coach.

You could possibly go to your partner and say "Just shake your head yes to everything".

One time, while I was an Assistant Referee in a soccer game, the center referee came up to me, after he made a controversial call that resulted in a Penalty Kick, and asked "You like cake don't you?". I shook my head yes, and he said "Thanks. Good job". I didn't understanding until he explained later "I just needed to make sure that it appeared you seen the same thing I did". It was funny as hell, and a very creative way to support his call! It worked because the coach was yelling and screaming that it wasn't a foul until the very second I shook my head yes. Immediately, the coach quit complaining and never said another word. Nice!