View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 10, 2008, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cshs81
Disclaimer: I'm not an umpire.

2 man crew. Field umpire ruled that F3 pulled his foot off the base and called the runner safe. Coach complains that it was a bad call. As a result of this complaining, the home plate umpire calls his partner into a private discussion. They then changed the call to an out call (which was the right call from my vantage point).

Is this a proper way to handle this? Or should the home plate ump wait until being asked for help by his partner?

Are there any situations where the non-calling umpire initiates the conversation with his partner?
Thanks
We have MLB to thank for partners over turning one another without being asked.

The call BELONGS to the BU.

The BU has 2 choices

1. Stick with his call or
2. Check with his partner

HOWEVER,

The PU should not chime in unless he asked by his partner NOT the coach.

To me this is no different then a check swing.

F1, F2 the coach the Pope the President of the US can point to me all they want. It's not unitl my Partner points to me that I will give a signal one way or the other.

Now as Bob said depedning upon your partner etc. You could over-ride your partners call in certain situations like the ball being on the ground but that should be discussed in Pre-game

IMO, Arbritraily over-ruling your partner without being asked is not a good thing. Also, whose to say you are right.

Pete Booth