Thread: DP/Flex Redux
View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 07, 2008, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
I edited my citation to make it easier for you. Scott stated that if the FLEX was not playing defense, she was being subbed for and that just isn't so. If the FLEX is not playing defense, the line-up drops to 9 and there are no subs.
Saying it is not a sub just confuses the issue more; technically the position is not subbed in or out, but the player is.

If the FLEX is not playing defense you are playing with nine. If the player that played the FLEX position is out of the game, then she was either subbed out by a player from the bench (playing 10) or by the DP (playing 9). The DP player that was previously on the bench during the defensive half of the inningis now in the game at that time.

The reverse is true if the DP is no longer in the game; you are playing with nine. If the player that played the DP position is out of the game, then she was either subbed out by a player from the bench (playing 10) or by the FLEX (playing 9). The FLEX player that was previously on the bench during the offensive half of the inning is now in the game at that time.

Changes to the DP/FLEX players are controlled by the Substitution Rules, including ReEntry, Unreported Sub, and Illegal Sub. I find the rule easier to understand when I consider player changes as substitutions.

WMB

Last edited by WestMichBlue; Mon Apr 07, 2008 at 09:40am.