View Single Post
Old Sun Apr 06, 2008, 11:38am
Esteemed Forum Member

Too Much Information ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
I went back and edited my post. I should have said "grabbed" instead of "touched". There was no touch followed by a grab...just a grab of the net. The grabbing of the net is a BI violation if it happens when the ball is on the ring. The ball becomes dead at that time. Grabbing the net and shaking the ring is also a technical foul. The BI violation and the technical foul occurred simultaneously and both acts are penalized accordingly. That's what the case play cited basically is saying.
I thought that your previous posts cleared up this situation, and my incorrect interpretation, in my mind. Now, I am confused again.

In order to grab something, don't you have to touch it (make contact with it) first? You can touch something without grabbing it, but, you can't grab something without touching it first.

I'm going to take chance at being ridiculed here, but I don't believe that these acts, a violation, and a foul, are simultaneous, as you state above. I believe that the touch, and violation, came first, and the grab, and foul, came immediately, but not simultaneously, after the violation. I also believe that the ball was dead, by the violation, when the foul, the grab, occurred, but it's a technical foul to grab the basket at any time, live ball, or dead ball, except when preventing an injury.

I do agree with you that both acts are penalized accordingly.