View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 02, 2008, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Agreed ask for the rules reference. Alot of the experienced umpires will quote things and tell you like it is....but you have them crack open that book and they go....wow, I don't remember it being worded that way.

One other way to approach them is to do the following. Look up all the rules in your book that pertain to the subject you are discussing (LBR in this case) including any and all case plays POE(points of emphasis), RS (rules supplements) everything in writing in the book on it. Then say something like "Hey after we talked I looked this up and I am struggling on finding where the 2-4 step part of the rule is" depending on the personality this will open their mind to looking sometimes, and not seem so much like a smarta$$ new guy trying to show them up. Again those who really know things are open to discussions and open to reviewing the book together with younger (experience wise) umpires, those who know it all take a little bit more convincing to dig into the book, and the above "help me find this" approach sometimes does it....while still keeping you friendly with each other.

Cecil,
I think what wade is saying is IHO it is stupid to return to 1st base when you are that close to 2nd....if F1 didn't take the bait and play on you when you jogged to 2nd she most likely won't when you jog back to 1st.....and the only thing you have gained is the opportunity for the defense to get a double play, instead of having two runners in scoring position.