View Single Post
Old Fri Jul 05, 2002, 12:27pm
In Memoriam

Red face

I created one of those memorable moments the other night.

LL Majors Tournament for Local Championship.
Orange team batting. Red Team in the field. R2.

Pitcher started his wind-up and stepped to the plate, ...then stopped, ...then started to deliver the ball to the plate.
I immediately raised both hands and stepped left and out from the catcher yelling "Illegal Pitch!"
As I stood out there like a goal post, the pitch came in and the right-handed batter swatted a Texas league single behind 1B. R2 moved th 3B. Play ended.
I mmediately went to "the Manager" and said, "That was an illegal pitch, do you want the result or a ball?"
He asks, "Did you call a balk?"
I said, "No, I called an illegal pitch."
He asks, "Did you call a balk?"
I said, "No, I called an illegal pitch. There is no Balk at this level."
He asks, "But, did you call a balk?"
I said, "No, I called an illegal pitch." Then, I explained what the pitcher had done. and asked, "Do you want the result or a ball?"
He said, "Well, I'll take the ball, but you'll have to show me that rule!"

Okay, so why did he want the ball? (Idiot.). I sent R2 back to second and batter back to the plate and he grounds out to F4.

Next batter come up and steps into the box. Before the first pitch, (I am thinking,"Aw shee-it!"). "Time!"

I went to The "Other Manager" (Orange) and loudly explained that I just asked the wrong Manager what he wanted on that last play. I made it loud enough, with an apology, so the 75-80 fans there would hear me, and I wouldn't have to explain it again. ( after all, by this time, everyone knew the rule and that I had kicked it).

Well, this Orange manager wanted the result, and out came the Red Manager and demanded an explanation. We worked it out. Put the original batter on 1B and moved R2 to 3B.
He was yelling (not cursing), I was taking it because he was using words, though loud, that I could use in front of my Mom.

Anyway, we got back to it and Red won by one in the bottom of the last.

mick

B.S.- After the game, I brought Red Manager the rule and he will be ready for next year.