View Single Post
Old Fri Jul 05, 2002, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb rule book

1. 8-3-5 states that "the act of fielding the ball is not considered a play from the field," TOP.
2. New appeal rule brought this subject up for discussion at our interp. meeting. A caught fly ball requires the runner to return to the base before the ball. If the ball goes out of play, he is not given the opportunity because of an immediate dead ball. Award two bases, the base at TOP and second. Sometime we hear and read what we want to. After re-reading, I found a little phrase on dead ball appeal: 8-2-5p: "runners must be given the opportunity to complete their base running responsibilities." I am ashened face with embarrassment.
3. This now creates another question. When do I award the two bases? After they do their baserunning responsiblities or upon the dead ball call? If I award too soon, they may go to their awarded bases before they re-touch the occupied base. Now I have a dead ball appeal situation I created.
Luckily, I have not run into this situation yet. I am very interested on how others have handled this situation.